Rechercher dans ce blog

Friday, August 7, 2020

Apprenticeship Complete, Daniels Stands Ready to Help the Wildcats - Villanova University Athletics - Villanova University Official Athletic Site

nnnindonesia.blogspot.com
The eighth in a series of Nova Notebook features profiling the Wildcats in the summer of 2020 brings us up to speed on junior guard Caleb Daniels.
 
                Arriving at Villanova a summer ago, Caleb Daniels understood the deal. The New Orleans native would have an apprenticeship to serve as a Villanova Basketball player mandated by NCAA rules governing transfer students. On game days and nights, the former Tulane standout would be only an observer as his teammates took to the court.
 
                Yet recognizing that and living it can be two vastly different experiences.
 
                Daniels, though, never faltered. His resolve remained firm.
 
                "It was different," says Daniels of a 2019-20 campaign that saw the Wildcats post a 24-7 overall record and earn a share of the BIG EAST regular season title. "It honestly felt as if I came in as a freshman. Learning a new system, learning a new group of guys. Thank God I was surrounded by the greatest group of guys and coaches in the world. That adjustment was easy for me because everyone was very accepting and open.
 
                "I tried to have an open mind every day so that I could learn and grow. I learned a lot about being a Villanova Basketball player on and off the court, just being a legit person."
 
                Of course, when game time arrived, he found himself either on the bench for home games or watching on television during road contests.
 
                "I couldn't be out there with my guys battling," he says. "But what put it into perspective for me was that I just always wanted to be there for them. Pushing them in practice. Talking to them a lot. I wanted to be the guy who was there for them."
 
                Those around him noticed.
 
                "Caleb took a great approach to the redshirt year," says Wildcats assistant coach Mike Nardi. "Every day, he worked to make his teammates better in practice. And when we were focusing on his individual skills, he took that seriously too. As a coach, when you see that kind of effort, you feel really good about the future."
 
                Adds Daniels: "When I first came to Villanova, I was very undisciplined. I knew how to play organized team basketball, but not Villanova Basketball. I played hard, but not Villanova Basketball hard. Now, I feel I am way more disciplined than before. I'm starting to understand the concepts a whole lot more."
 
                The end to the 2019-20 season came abruptly due to the COVID-19 pandemic. In less than 24 hours the Wildcats went from preparing to face DePaul in the BIG EAST Tournament quarterfinal in New York City to figuring out how to get home as universities including Villanova shifted to online learning in mid-March. Daniels boarded a flight at Philadelphia International Airport a few days later bound for New Orleans.
 
                He's been there ever since.
 
                "Being home during the pandemic with my family is one of the greatest gifts I could have gotten while being in college," Daniels states. "Although I was away from my teammates and the game for a minute, having that time with my family and devoting myself to self-development was a gift. I've been trying to educate myself and opening my mind to new things."
               
One topic has drawn special attention.
 
                "Social injustices are something I've been learning about," he says. "I've been reading a lot and watched a lot of documentaries. Just trying to be aware. Not using basketball as an excuse, but I just didn't have much time to educate myself to some of these injustices before this. I've really tried to use this time to become more aware."
 
                The shift to online learning did not deter Daniels either. At year's end he was named to the Academic All-BIG EAST team and the NABC Honors Court for his academic efforts.
 
                "In the beginning it was quite challenging," he notes. "When you come home, it's usually on a break when school isn't in session. So, at first, it was quite the adjustment.
 
                "But I had to get this work done, not only for me, but for my teammates and coaches. They are counting on me. It's a team thing."
 
                 Quarantine limited the amount of basketball Daniels could play in the spring. Locating an open gym was difficult early in the pandemic. In recent weeks he's ramped up the activity.
 
                "I've been working out a lot and working on my craft, shooting a lot lately," Daniels states. "I've been running and riding my bike off the court."
 
                Daniels is set to return to Philadelphia early next week as the campus prepares for the start of the fall semester on Aug. 17.
 
                "As a team, I think we all understand what it takes after having been together last year," he says. "It's going to take time, of course, to get back in synch and game shape. But the big thing is that we all understand the goal is to be better every day and hold one another to the same standards. That's the beautiful part about it."
 
                From the staff's perspective, Daniels figures to impact the 2020-21 Wildcats in a variety of ways.
 
                "The first thing that strikes you about Caleb is his explosiveness," notes Nardi. "He's a dynamic guard and great competitor. We saw his unselfishness every day in practice last year and he's an underrated passer. He's also a very good isolation player.
 
                "The other thing for us is that he can be a jack of all trades. If we want to play smaller, he can guard someone bigger because he's strong and physical. If you want him to play the two, he's a very talented scorer. He can handle and distribute the ball if you need him to do that. There's just a lot he brings to the table."
                Teammate Bryan Antoine was often a Daniels workout partner last season as he made his way back from shoulder surgery.
 
                "I thought Caleb showed his greatness in practice last year," says Antoine. "From what I saw, he's a really tough guard and a great teammate."
 
                Daniels is fired up to return to Villanova.
 
                "There is such a family at Villanova," states Daniels. "That's one of the things that really stood out to me when I transferred in. Everyone is friendly with one another. It's something I loved about the school and still do. Everyone is willing to help each other and see you succeed. It's a beautiful thing."
 
                With his apprenticeship complete, Daniels stands ready to help his team in a more substantial way in 2020-21. He'll do so with a year's worth of lessons that he worked diligently to absorb.
 
                "I tried to be open to learning every day," he says.
 
                The fruits of that labor should be visible to all in the Nova Nation in the months ahead.
 
Print Friendly Version

Let's block ads! (Why?)



"complete" - Google News
August 08, 2020 at 01:34AM
https://ift.tt/31sNy1r

Apprenticeship Complete, Daniels Stands Ready to Help the Wildcats - Villanova University Athletics - Villanova University Official Athletic Site
"complete" - Google News
https://ift.tt/2Fvz4Dj
https://ift.tt/2YviVIP

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search

Featured Post

Côte-Saint-Luc first responders fundraise for colleague on life support in Barbados - CBC.ca

nnnindonesia.blogspot.com First responders in Côte-Saint-Luc are worried and heartbroken after their colleague, volunteer Clifford Jordan, ...

Postingan Populer